Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Nightmares For A Week "Don't Die"

Nightmares for a week are a band that are doing what they like. Making music they enjoy. While their first ep, "a flood tomorrow," sounded more like Against Me!, Lucero or similar folk-inspired bands, their new album "don't Die" definitely leaves the jangly honky-tonk behind for a "classic" American sound. However, a lot of people are comparing this album to The Gaslight Anthem and Against Me!. To be honest, I do not really hear it. What I hear in this album is "On A Wire"-era The Get Up Kids. Yes, The Get Up Kids. I am going to have to say that either music critics are trying to find something today to relate this sound to or they are just are seeing what each other is writing about bands and using the same references.

I downloaded "Don't Die" this morning, after not being really interested in it when it came out. If I heard this playing in a casual setting as background music, or caught it while i was doing something else, I would probably have thought it was the new Get up kids album.

All in all, I am glad i purchased this, if not for the somewhat unique sound, but for the fact it reminds me of a time when there was a lot more music being made that got me excited. At time when I was purchasing music every week, because there was that much good stuff hitting the shelves. I have already listened to it start to finish 2 times, in 3 hours, and 3 will be starting after I finish the 'stones album I put on during lunch. So far, there are some songs that are standing out to me, and some that definitely sound like they came off "a flood tomorrow" and I am liking it.



No comments:

Post a Comment