Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Music A.D.D.

I use a phrase often. I call it "Music A.D.D." or "Music Attention Deficit Disorder" basically, this is when you are doing something, but you cannot get it done because you keep changing your mind/not settling on what to listen to. This happens to me a lot where I will put something on and after 2 songs take it off again. Sometimes I get excited and think "yeah, now this is good" then the next thing I know I am hitting skip or finding something else to put on.

What causes this? When we go shopping or listen to the radio they are always playing a mix of songs and every one of us wishes they would just play "this" song or "that" song. I guess it all goes back to what makes a song and a band memorable. What makes those things stand out from just being background noise. On the flip side, what makes them just be background noise? Then, when you look at it again, if it is just background, why can't we just leave it alone and let it play?

I think it comes down to the level of familiarity and mood of the music. If there is something that is overly aggressive, that seems to benefit a high energy activity. Mellow seems to fit a low impact action. But then there are things that seems to fit everything. These are the bands that have variety to their songs. There is usually some kind of melody that can be picked up and a rhythm that is easy to follow. This is basically the template for Rock 'n' Roll in the purest sense.

I have a lot of bands where i have over a hundred songs each of. Most of these i can put on and just let them play. Especially if i am working, both at home or at the house. Whether it is for my job or for fun, I seem to be able to do this. Maybe it is the variety of the songs. Maybe it is the effect "that one song" has to my mood. Maybe it is just that I can sing along to each word that comes along. I am not sure.

Luckily, today is not a music A.D.D. day but I do have a lot of new music that i have bought and gotten for free that is kind of taking precedent over everything else just because it is new. If i did not have these, who knows what today would have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment