Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Interesting Alternative Press article on album lengths

I am not yet quite sure if this article from Alternative Press is strengthening why albums are getting shorter or if it is making excuses for it.

Personally, I think the "more killer, no filler" is kind of a b.s. answer, but I need some more time to really wrap my head around what I think this all means.

We live in a disposable world. Everything is thrown out and replaced. We have been trained to do this. Basically, I think this article is saying that bands can leave off the "filler" songs and just focus on the "good" stuff. But, to me, this makes the whole concept of what makes an album an album, and not just a single or ep, and turns the whole thing into something disposable.

I guess I did not need to wait to make sense of it. But I would rather wait a little longer and get a bunch of songs that are all great as opposed to singles and eps that typically cost a little more per song if you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment