Wednesday, April 28, 2010

after such a long drought...

We finally have plenty of great music that has come out or will be coming out soon. April has been pretty rad up to this point for music.

I have already talked about a lot of the music I have picked up over the past couple of weeks, but I have grabbed some new things that I have been quite happy to have picked up.

Circa Survive:

The new Circa Survive album "Blue Sky Noise" is very much more of the same from this popular, proggy band. I am going to be honest, for the past Circa albums, I have had to be "in the mood" for it. I have always liked their musical output, but it does not always fit the right sound for every situation for me. But this new album, this is something a little different. It almost seems more accessible, at times, more catchy. None of this is a bad thing. I think the album starts off a little slow, it is almost hard to discern track to track what is going on, but as the album starts climbing through the tracks, there are definite increases in the amount of tap your foot moments. One thing I love about this album is that Anthony Green is known for his beautiful falsetto and higher range, but on "Blue Sky Noise" you can hear him slip into the mid-range and the result is a much more raw and powerful effect. There are hints of rasp, strain and power that you can not achieve in the higher registers. I recommend you pick up the bonus track version, the extra tracks are really worth the couple of extra dollars and they are way beyond just b-sides or tracks that don't fit with the album. I could easily see these extra tracks as a stand-alone ep.

The Slackers:

The Slackers are a band that I have heard a song here and a song there on "give 'em the boot" compilations and other various places. About this time last year, I found out that Whatevski Records had a booze cruise live concert recording for $5. You know what? It rocked. So, hearing all of the buzz and good reviews for "The Great Rocksteady Swindle" I had to pick it up. I am not sorry I did. It is a nice little piece of groovy, moody midtempo ska/funk whatever. It is really great music to listen to at work.

The Wunder Years/Sorry About the Fire

I picked up an old recording recently as well. It is a split album by 2 bands I had heard of but not heard; The Wunder Years (yes, there is a U and not the WONDER YEARS with an O.) and Sorry About The Fire. The album is called "On Behalf of Rock n Roll." This comes from reading the Bad Sandwich Chronicles blog "The Story of Coco" and the comments that followed it. I am happy I did too. This is a great album of early 2000's punk. Strong album. Apparently, the one available on Amazon is a reissue or something with extra songs. That would account for the live, acoustic performances, which are just cool anyway.

Young Livers:

Honestly, after reading about it not that long ago and thinking what i heard sounded pretty good, I had forgotten that Young Livers had a new album coming out. "Of Misery and Toil" is an amazing release. I am reminded of "The New Whats Next" or "Never Ender" era Hot Water Music (one of my favorite bands). This is a band that really took the time between albums and got better. They refined their sound and cleaned up everything. Where "The New Drop Era" was good, "Of Misery and Toil" is great! I keep wanting to turn it up at my desk and let everyone nod their head to it. I just got it Monday I think, so I really want to sit and listen to it a few times back to back without work getting in the way, but I can tell you right now, it is a good album.

No comments:

Post a Comment