Thursday, April 1, 2010

SOOO John Nolan is back in Taking Back Sunday

I am not really sure how I even SHOULD feel about this. Everyone seems to think it is such an amazing thing. I will be honest, the TBS records I think have been getting better overall. I loved "Tell All Your Friends" but I thought the overall band was stronger on the later releases. Fred brought something to the band that I felt really showed how much one person can add. But again, it was just a more mature sound. I loved straylight run, they had some great songs. But, near the end of the run for them, I felt like it was too much of a vanity project where they were just doing it for themselves as individuals and not really as a band. Although, the last TBS record was kind of the same thing. I do not think it had the staying power and the middle 2 records. I dunno. That is just me. I got really burned out on the poppy-esque post punk whatever very fast. Bands like TBS and Fall Out Boy and Brand New just don't hold up to me as much now as much as they did when i first heard them. I love the older FOB stuff, can not stand the new. I like the newer TBS stuff over the old, despite the old still being catchy as hell. And Brand New, I am not even sure what to think about them.

There is a lot of music today that just sounds like everything else and it does not seem to grab me like it used to. But, time will tell. John Nolan is super talented, but his more recent work does not lend itself to what TBS used to be. I guess I will need to see what i can hear of the new output before I can really have an opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment