Sunday, December 19, 2010

what makes an album memorable?

last night, I went with my sister to Dashboard Confessional's "Swiss Army Romance" 10 year anniversary show. I have not really enjoyed the more recent output from Chris Carrabba. But, that first album, "the swiss army romance" and then
the places you have come to fear the most" and his eps "Summer's Kiss" and "So Impossible" are amazing pieces of music. Now, while I have not listened to any of his music since i saw him play with a full band in the spring, and have not listened to any of the recorded songs in over a year, I still know pretty much every word to every song from those 4 albums.

This got me thinking, even though my tastes my change and there types of music I get really interested in for a while and everything else kind of falls on the back side, there are always certain albums that I will probably be able to put in at any time in my life and be able to sing along to. I am not talking songs here, I am talking full albums. But, why? What is it about these albums that just hold on so well. Is it because they are catchy? Is it because they are played on the radio? Is it striking lyrics? I would have to say no. Mostly, it is because the total combination of song and lyrics have just the perfect balance of what was needed at that time in my life. Now, this is going to be a completely selfish post, because what works for me and what works for you are probably 2 completely different things. But when it comes down to it, that is what music is all about. What WE feel about it as a person, not what others tell us to feel about it. There are ALOT of people out there that just go to shows to hear that one radio hit, that one song that EVERYONE thinks is cool. Those people do not understand music. They do not get it. These are the people that go to shows so they can tell someone else that they were there, they were a part of it. They get the t-shirt because it is "cool" to have been there. Not because they like it. Case in point, there was this rather drunk girl standing by the bar at the end of Chris Carrabba's set, which consisted of "The swiss army romance" start to finish as well as a bunch of older songs basically playing the 4 albums I mentioned at the start. Well, anyway, this rather drunk chick was on the phone, as soon as the lights went on, after an hour straight of music, and she is YELLING at someone "have you ever heard of Dashboards Confessions?" (close, but just not DASHBOARD CONFESSIONAL) well her friend or whoever did not know who she was talking about so she continues "well whatever, i just got done making out with him and it was awesome."

I stood and watched the whole show, I don't remember any wasted slutty girl being on stage with him, but apparently, she felt it would help make her look cooler by telling someone that this took place. These are the people that do not appreciate what they just saw. With the exception of this drunk chick and the people who talked the WHOLE FUCKING TIME...the show was amazing, everyone sang along to every song. Which brings me back to the start of this thing, what makes an album have that effect on people?

Thinking back at what i know i could sing with, to me it is that perfect balance between lyrics, song structure, feeling and passion. The albums have that mix of happy and sad. There is a feeling of importance to what you are listening to. Sometimes they just come at the right time. Sometimes, they come when you least expect it. Maybe you have been waiting for it to come in the mail, so you check every day, happy with the anticipation. Then, there are others that hit you before you realize it and you cannot get them out of your head.

Along with "The Swiss Army Romance" The Swiss Army Romancethere are quite a few albums that no matter how long I go without listening to them, i can still sing along.
Emery "The Weak's End"The Weak's End

The Lawrence Arms "The Greatest Story Ever Told" The Greatest Story Ever Told

Coheed and Cambria "The Second Stage Turbine Blade"The Second Stage Turbine Blade

Saves the day "Stay What You Are" Stay What You Are

Rise Against "revolutions per minute"Revolutions Per Minute

Alkaline Trio "S/T"The Alkaline Trio

The Gaslight Anthem "The '59 Sound"The '59 Sound

Against Me! "As The Eternal Cowboy" As the Eternal Cowboy

Sparta "Porcelain" Porcelain

Now, this is in NO WAY a definitive list, just things that I have had ingrained to often into my brain that they may always be there. And there is not a damn thing wrong with it

No comments:

Post a Comment