Monday, November 22, 2010

song of the day, Nov 22

Did you like covers week? It was kind of fun for me to dig around in my head each day. Of course, I had Friday's "Kiss The Bottle" in my mind all week.

Today, I am going to take it to Chuck Ragan and "God Deciding."

My first real experience wiht Hot Water Music was when they did the split album with Alkaline Trio. I was definitely interested in what I heard, but I let the opinions of the fellow members of my then "ok sounding" band influence me away from them too much. I hate how people slag something because it takes what they consider to be "punk" and changes it. It was not until after Hot Water Music broke up that I really started becoming interested again. That all changed in November of 2006 when for my birthday i got tickets to 2 shows on the same night, and both for my birthday. I parked at the McDonald's on Clark street, go in a cab, went to the congress theater to see EMERY on the nintendo fusion tour. After Emery Played, I got into a cab to go back to the car and back to Metro to see the Lawrence Arms. Chuck Ragan was the second band on the bill that night and we got there just as he was going on stage, this was the night my opinions changed and I really go into Chuck and what Hot Water Music had created. Today, i have bee lucky enough to have seen Chuck a few times as well as the reformed Hot Water Music a few times. They are just so freaking good. Had I not made it back to Metro in time, i may never have known.

"God Deciding" was a Hot Water Music song. Full band, kinda shouty, definitely driving. But, this is an example of a good song becoming a great song when it is stripped down, slowed down and you can really hear the lyrics and feel the emotion. It changes the dynamic of the song in such a powerful manner. The Chuck solo version has become one of my favorite songs.





No comments:

Post a Comment